Friday 23 May 2014

Dare to be overewhelmed!


So, starting off, sorry for putting even two puns in one title, could not help it! But, I guess, most of you think where are those puns and to what do they refer? Alright, in a moment, but first a short story. Last year had me starting to read more about music, and find some pleasure in finding new, little-known bands and artists, basically, to show off, alright, to listen too. That was very interesting for me (and still is), and it was one of the first times, I'd go searching for new sounds, a sort of band-hunt in the hipster sense, that I'd find a young artist, citing Radiohead as his influence and playing the piano. So, it actually was Douglas Dare, originally from Bridport, South West England, who had studied music in Liverpool, and is currently based in London. And he had just released a single, titled "Lungful". From his debut EP "Seven Hours". So, I had to listen, as I was intrigued by what I'd read, so, I listened, and thought to myself, well (remember my last review, right?), piano is not what I like. But as I listened, I really enjoyed it and felt some certain emotions and atmosphere, that I actually liked, but it had a bitter feel to it as well. Later I had forgotten about Douglas Dare for a while, but one day decided to check, how is the lad doing, and was happy to find, that he had released another song, called "Nile". Well, it sounded definitely as not something I'd expect, on the contrary, it was completely different, and created yet another atmosphere in my mind. Then "Swim" came out. And this time I really was not that much surprised to find out it being yet again completely different. So, this was my personal story. And now we can go to talk about the actual album... It is called "Whelm" and released on 12th of May via "Erased Tapes". So, this will be the subject of my newest review. I dare you to start!

The first song is "Clockwork". It starts with swooning sounds, like from underwater. And, well, it has somehing do deal with water. It is about an ancient artefact, known as the Antikythera mechanism. A sort of "analog computer" of the Antiquity... Delicate keys, and the emotive chorus "Measure time/But it will move/Hold it close/But it won't prove anything" is really strong. Then there is this more electronic part, very likely to be compared to James Blake (what, actually, I found inadequate). But then again we return to the basic piano with some electronic beats chorus. Subtle and emotional.

The second take is the album's lead single, "Nile". I have already mentioned this one a bit. It is a completely different take than the previous song. It has a certain ambient feel to it, reverbed synth all over the place. This song is far more dramatic, compared to the previous one with its nostalgic feel. Here, instead, it is a sense of unease, a bitter feeling of sadness. It goes on and on, and then stumbles and goes into synth reverb. And then the beats and bleeps come back backwards, and so do the wonderful vocals. Even not a very fast song, not a pop hit, it is so intense. And the last bit is very frightening.

The third track, named "Repeat". Brings us back to the piano sound of the opening track. A bit faster here. "Behind glass eyes, it's hard to tell, whether pleasure is reaching your cells", well, what can be more weird, poetic and untypical, I wonder? Brilliant synth at the end. That evokes an emerging sense of unease and tension. This song has a certain desperate feeling in it. One might expect a third chorus, but instead we get an instrumental outro.

The fourth song is called "Caroline". The saddest song on the album, as well as one of the most basic piano-based tracks. "And just as I have always feared, your precious words, they disappeared, into my mind, as I went blind, let me read again the letters that she sent"  could it get any sadder? It seems such a distant theme, far from our everyday experience, letters, going blind... Yet evokes enough sadness to cry. If those words did not make you cry already, the ending, filled with tense sound and percussion, exemplifying brilliant production by Fabian Prynn, and even sadder words will most probably just do the job. At least, for me every time I listen, it is hard not to cry.

The fifth song is the title track, "Whelm". A short instrumental to calm down and relax after such an excruciating dose of feelings. Uses some interesting piano techniques. It is the only track without any percussion, yet even in such a simple piece Douglas Dare manages to find how to somehow surprise.

The sixth song, is called "Unrest". Synth goes into the mix, synth jam. Really strange. Well, after two piano-based sounds in a row, this is surprising and sounds new. Piano reminds you of loops and electronics, rather than a traditional ages old instrument. The composition is just beautiful. More drums in the chorus. And these words "The seraphins, they know your sins, and they report to my human heart..." are so interesting and new as well, lyrics here, once again, never disappoint. The ending is the same loopy motive again and again. The sense of unrest is really here.

The seventh track is the already mentioned above "Lungful". A basic piano song. But strangely enough, it still is interesting and reminds of Thom Yorke in the "The Eraser" era. Simply piano, yet in the chorus is this subtle electronic percussion. "I will not let you fail"  sings Douglas with feeling. And it gives you the feeling, that there is someone for one, who will not let you. Then the chords scatter into almost endless and comforting arpeggios. Gives me a cold, yet bright feeling of autumn. Very British. Subtle and sad.

The eight song is called "Whitewash". Another more piano-based song. Reminds me a lot of the opening track. The chorus in both songs ends a bit the same. This song is another historic one, about the Irish Magdalene laundries for as it was said then, promiscuous women and former prostitutes. The song is unbearably sad, and the haunting distant percussion sounds only amplify the feeling of pain and sadness. The ending is beautifully sad and dramatic, with Douglas playing the piano with feeling and madly.

The ninth song is called "Swim". Once again, after two piano-based songs in a row, this song is taken over by electronics. It is extremely different from other tunes on the album. Dominated by beats and bleeps, as well as warm synth, it gives you other feelings than the previous song, however, not happier. "I want to get in"  mumbles Douglas. And his lower voice gives you shivers down your spine. The chorus has this swirling piano, going round and round. Then he says something that is so relatable and close to me: "If only I could talk to you, I do not know the words I'd choose, how to say that I miss you? Would you be, as I always knew?" Then the piano and synth go to unexpected ways, and the last part features unleashed drums breaking free, wonderful.

The last, tenth song is titled "London's Rose". It is one of the oldest, I guess, songs on the album. This track again brings back the piano-led sound. After the start the chorus seems a bit unexpected, and the lyrics are just marvellous. This song is again a historic one, telling the story of the people in London, who, during the start of World War II, found shelter in the underground. I cannot help but to mention, that I think the fact, that a song about the wartime, so distant and not interesting for us, modern people, can give you such genuine emotions and feel so close and personal, is wonderful. And when Douglas sings with passion, getting louder and louder: "Take us back up, to the top/Take us back up", it is hard not to cry, as he hits the keys with desperation, sustained, and measured just to be enough for you to feel some true emotion.

So, are you overwhelmed? I was. This album is the album of the year so far. It is emotive, deep, soulful, serious. Interestingly enough, apart from "Lungful" and "Repeat", I did not like the songs at first, yet it grew on me over time. And now I like each and every song on the record. "Whelm" has this true feeling, rarely found these days. It moves its way between piano-led pop and electronic bleeps and emptiness of James Blake and others like him, this record finds its way to avoid going in either direction fully, but rather is accurately balanced between them. One might look for more diversity as it seems quite repetitive and the same patterns appear several times throughout the record, but, as an album, I guess, it should be one statement, and not a collection of random songs, so, basically that is not a bad thing at all, furthermore, the difference between some songs is huge and shows the versatility of Douglas Dare. As Jack Barnett of These New Puritans once said, that he wants to make music serious again, what is rare nowadays. So, I think, Douglas Dare does make serious music, and manages to evoke so much feeling with historical themes, that, if asked, the majority of people would call boring. But here those themes make you feel true emotion, not different than songs about "real" experience do. Yes, this album is not happy, not easily enjoyable, but it offers a lasting effect, a lasting feeling, a certain eye opening experience. Well, one might need time to get in... and swim. Oh, what is up with these puns? So, the only bad point about it is that it is too short...

Douglas Dare:

http://www.douglasdare.com/
https://www.facebook.com/douglasdaremusic
https://soundcloud.com/douglas-dare

You can buy the album here:

http://www.erasedtapes.com/store/index/ERATP057

Or, if you do not have enough money, or simply want to listen to it for free, here it is, specially for you:

  P.S. Special thanks to the author of this review for some historical details and things that were useful for me.